Friday, May 14, 2010

I want to go on a walk but its dark and I'm afraid I'll get lost...

Whew sorry its been a little bit. I've been busy. And internet/computer-less.

I'm in Portland. Wow. I'm actually here. I didn't think this would ever actually come. It's been interesting so far, in a much different way than I could have ever anticipated.

For my whole life I've been defined by what a weirdo I am. Not in a cool, trendy way, in an actual weird way. I've harnessed in over the years and brandished it in a way that is socially acceptable, and in recent times have noticed that it has even garnished some admiration from certain people. So I've always been weird but in a nice way. It's how I see myself.

Overnight, I have been left in a place where the only thing weird about me is how ordinary I am. Portland is strange for me, in that its primary culture here was at best a marginalized counter-culture in Charleston (and I suppose in the South in general). But as a result, I am still on the fringe. I'm not a hipster. I'm not a yuppie. I'm not really anything much. Perhaps the time has come to define myself, I don't know.

On a lighter note, everyone here is fucking tiny and beautiful. I am by no means a large person in any sense, but in comparison to the average chick walking down the street I feel akin to Andre the Giant, all large and bumbling.

Um I'm not feeling particularly literary this evening, so I'm just gonna start making lists.

Things I'm Excited About
:
Kelly moving to LA
Erin moving to San Fran
Visiting Gaby in San Fran
Going to a Janet Fitch book reading/meet and greet at some point in LA
Going to Powell's tomorrow to buy some more books
Possibly having a spot in a house
Possibly having a job (will find out soon about both of these things)
New fave coffee shop full of beautiful tall guys that I discovered today

Also got a new tat, yay! Also want another one that I have had planned for a while for my back, not sure if I should wait a bit or just get it over with while I'm in tattoo healing mode.

Miss you guys. I mean, I don't see you regularly anyway. But right now I feel farther away than ever.

2 comments:

Old Envelope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i love these posts-- life sounds awesome so far in oregon. sounds really peaceful and you seem happy which is all that matters. it's exciting figuring out a place and the people around you, even it if it does get frustrating and you do get a tinge of envy because it just seems like everyone has themselves and their 'identities' so figured out.

that's how it was for me when i moved to brooklyn my first year in nyc. there's like this appreciation for everyone around you... but it does make you ask yourself 'what's my deal?' 'what is my thing?' which is completely opposite from how youve felt your entire life. so weird that it works out like that.

i'm so happy for you and cannot wait to visit. i'm crashing at my friend's apt until the movers get here. i am pumped that i'll see you soon! love you and miss you