Friday, November 6, 2009

there's no mercy in a live wire/ no rest at all in freedom

Some songs are only great when sung by the original songwriter. I don't know why. Maybe the original songwriter is the only one who understands the emotional origin of the song, and is therefore the only one who can render it the way it was intended. I say this because I am a huge fan of both the Dixie Chicks (most retarded name for one of the best bands ever, if I may say so) and Patty Griffin. The Dixie Chicks are also fans of Patty Griffin, because they have covered two of her songs on past albums. But for me, both times the experience has been the same; the Dixie Chicks cover is very good, but the Patty Griffin version speaks to me and leaves me floored. Check out both versions of these songs on youtube and let me know if I'm alone:

Let Him Fly*
Dixie Chicks
Patty Griffin

Top of the World
Dixie Chicks
Patty Griffin

*Jessica Simpson also covers this song, and for the love of god don't listen to it first, it is fucking terrible. Also, don't listen to either of these if you are in a fragile state of mind, they make me boohoo even when I am feeling great.

No comments: