Thursday, August 13, 2009

i'm julia child, BON apetit!!!

Just skimmed a rather strange and over-thought critique on "Julie and Julia"--something about feminism, probably about women in the kitchen being anti-feminist, not sure. And then I stopped reading, because I'm pretty sure the whole point of feminism is to allow women the freedom to do whatever the fuck they want, and listening to one woman bash another about her desire to be in the kitchen = point missed.

Anyway, I loved Julie and Julia the same way that I love watching Ina Garten and Giada DeLaurentis on food network in the middle of the day. It was so relaxing and entertaining, and even if it was just for a couple of hours it gave me the freedom to fantasize that maybe someday I too would have the patience, ambition, and talent to create such dishes myself. Also, I was completely shocked to discover that Meryl Streep was hysterical as Julia Child. Like, brilliant. For some reason I've never been a huge Meryl fan, but I am definitely coming around after this.

Oh, and one other thing--watching movies with baby boomers is so much fun. I went to the 4:30 screening because it was the only one not sold out at the Terrace (my favorite theater because 1. they serve booze, 2. all the screens have curtains on them that open grandly as the lights dim, and 3. before the movie they play the 'lets go out to the lobby' song where the hotdogs sing). So of course all the early birds were out, and everyone was calling me young lady and saying stuff like "someone must be playing hooky today!!" (yes).

Anyway, everyone settled in, the movie started, and I discovered something that I never realized before--I have the sense of humor of a 65-year-old. The audience was so fun and laughed at everything that I did, which almost never happens, and at the end everyone in the theater clapped and the husbands and wives were like "im starving now!" I've always known I have an old soul, but this was just further confirmation.

4 comments:

kelly said...

i cannot wait to see it!

kelly said...

... i'm baaaaack

Sarah Lemmons said...

i loved it, too. however, they jacked up the screen and set it too low so i saw the microphones hovering 2 inches above their heads the entire time. it was awesome. i felt like a director or something.

Mr. Michael Jones said...

I love "Let's Go Out to the Lobby"!!!!!