Tuesday, February 17, 2009

i'm one of those people that likes to try and redeem themselves by acknowledging their own idiocy.

So I'm a little over halfway into the third Twilight book, Eclipse. And I've noticed something. It's something that has escaped my attention throughout the course of the first two books, something that should have been painfully obvious. Something that people have told me many a time, and I have ignored. And that something is this: Stephenie Meyer is a terrible writer. I mean, awful. And she spells her name dumbly, but let's stay on topic.

The weird thing is that even though I know this, and notice it every other sentence or so, I still am going to finish the book. And I still have trouble putting it down once I pick it up. And I still have every intention of reading the fourth one. What kind of trickery is this? I find it so amazing that an author is able to weave such a compelling tale of heartache and woe that I am willing to subtly torture myself for 629 pages in order to know the outcome. Someone should write a thesis paper on it. Unless of course, that someone is Stephenie Meyer, in which case please don't, I think you've done enough damage.

I think this guy sort of nails it on the head:
http://www.mibba.com/journals/read/97174/

Again, let me re-emphasize that I don't hate these books. I really like them. I just feel like an idiot for liking them.

No comments: