Thursday, July 24, 2008

i could live off of lemon zest luna bars

I could. They taste like those girlscout cookies, except they aren't five dollars a box. Or maybe they are, now that I think about it. Still, they are delicious in the morning. Um, and the new Vivanno smoothies from Starbucks? Can't wait to try those. There's some kind of mango something-or-other that I'm not too enthused about, but I can't wait to try me some banana-chocolate. Plus its "good for you," whatever that means.

I was reading some articles today about mirror therapy. Apparently scientists have been doing research on them for years in an attempt to understand the brain's ability to process what is seen in mirrors (for example, taking the 2-D image reflected in a mirror and then being able to construct an entirely 3-D image in our heads from it). I never really thought of it as that big of a mystery, but I think part of science's job is to take the stuff that no one else would ever see as a big deal and make a big deal out of it.

But I digress. So apparently mirrors are being used recently as therapy for phantom limb pain--by reflecting the image of the existing leg in such a way that it appears in the position of the phantom leg, the brain can trick itself into feeling a normal, healthy leg and thereby alleviates the pain. Trippy.

Moving on. The Apple store is opening on King Street Saturday. Finally. I love Apple stores because even though I will not need or want to purchase one of my own for a couple of years, to me they function as a type of internet cafe, and since I don't own one of them newfangled Blackberries I am one of the rare few who actually require the service of an internet cafe from time to time.

In the same vein, I woke up the other day and realized that over the past year or so I have somehow managed to slip into my own personal technological stone-age. I don't even own a functioning computer, and my phone is a Razr for crying out loud. Not even a good one. A refurbished one with a mis-matched battery cover that is serving as the sorry replacement for my previous crappy Razr that died for no reason. I bought my first ipod this year. My house has no DVR. No Tivo. We do have satellite, but our plan doesn't include the Discovery Health Channel OR VH1 Classic, so there is never anything on besides Project Runway.

This isn't really intentional, like I'm protesting the rapidly spinning wheels of technological progress or anything. I think it's just that things move too fast for me. I have trouble justifying spending hundreds of dollars on a new i-Whatever when Steve Jobs is just going to bust my balls with a completely new version of the same product a week later. Its like I would almost rather all my stuff be outrageously outdated so that people think of me as eccentric and quirky with my 2003 Gateway desktop that only runs Itunes, rather than a desperate, geeky wannabe who is always grasping at the cutting edge.

2 comments:

kelly said...

you're more technologically progressive than you give yourself credit for. what, with the nuvaring and all.

also- i've so been meaning to try the lemon zest. glad to hear they're good... i'll have to try. remember that lemon ice cream joy got from marble slab that was at first thought nauseating but turned out to be the best option after birthday cake? remember birthday cake marble slab? wow.

Unknown said...

that's so weird that you mention that because just the other day i went to marble slab and chose lemon custard with almonds OVER birthday cake with cookie dough!

p.s. the nuva ring is bomb. i can't even explain. and i saw an ad for the ford flex for the first time yesterday.