Friday, February 8, 2008

i feel like this is becoming a recurring theme in my life

Just in case I wasn't already acutely aware that it is sometimes difficult for people to determine my sexual orientation just by looking at me, there was further confirmation of it last night at my show. First off, the set itself was kind of a catastrophe--there wasn't enough room in the performance space, we had one microphone instead of our usual three, and my instrument kept creating an unstoppable feedback loop that was literally driving people to curl up in their chairs and clutch their bleeding ears.

This doesn't mean that we had a bad time, mind you. There is a really fun aspect of giving an abysmal performance that I can't exactly explain--its kind of like one of those three stooges-esque stunts where the guy slips on a banana peel, skids across the room, crashes into a semi-opened door, and then is doused by the bucket of water that was balanced precariously on the top. Each mistake adds to the hilarity.

Anyhoo, afterwards we were packing up and talking when a cute girl came over and asked me if I wanted to take a shot. I was so flustered to have a fan that I immediately agreed. However, when i got to the bar I realized that I had actually been offered a shot not just by her, but by her girlfriend and three other lesbian pals. One of them had a mohawk and giant gauges in her ears. One of them was wearing a three piece suit. These girls were not messing around.

It doesn't bother me that I'm popular with the ladies--I mean, whatever, it's fun for people to think you're cool for no real reason, no matter who it is. What bothers me is this--do I really come off as THAT big of a dyke? I mean seriously, I wasn't wearing a particularly lesbianish outfit, I wasn't making flirty eye contact with these girls, and I definitely wasn't wearing an "I love lesbians" patch like the one that the girl with the mohawk was wearing. What is going on?

No comments: