Saturday, September 29, 2012

*

I'm reading a really enlightening essay on a woman's experience with infertility, and I came across this passage wherein she explains the justification in staying with a cheating husband:

In your twenties, when you knew everything, endings were easy because there were still so many beginnings. You didn't understand how the Hillary Clintons of the world could take back hound-dog husbands. Not you, you'd say. No way. Now you know that things aren't so simple. People work past disappointment because there's still more invested than lost, like the stock market in a bad year, and you are not so different.
 
I'm still that person in my twenties (albiet towards the end now), and I still think this way although it is not quite as clear-cut as it was when I was 18.  But in reading this passage, I suddenly get it.  I GET IT.  Maybe it was the Hillary Clinton analogy mixed in with the stock market metaphor, but something about the presentation of this idea that has never made sense to me in the past is enough for me to finally understand.  And I still hate it.  It is still a line of logic that I hope I never have to employ. 

Here is the full story.

No comments: