Thursday, July 8, 2010

well well that entire day was certainly unexpected

I was off today and had nothing else to do so agreed to go with a few friends to a beach out on Sauvie Island, a sort of peninsula 15 or so miles outside of Portland. First off, the weather was heavenly--85 degrees, like zero percent humidity, not windy, absolutely perfect beach weather. So I'm already psyched, Gaga is on the radio which has me even more psyched, and as we round the corner I notice a snowcapped mountain off in the distance. I ask Anna "is that Mt Hood, I haven't seen it yet!" and she replies "no, that's Mt. St Helens. Hood is over there." If you don't understand why I freaked out about this it will be hard to explain, but I freaked out. I mean, seeing Mt St Helens was kind of like seeing a famous, dangerous criminal to me. You know, you hear about them your whole life, and all of the horrific stories about what happened after the explosion etc etc--and then suddenly its just THERE. And its all pretty and snowy and calm looking...SO cool.

Anyway, then we get to the beach, spread our shit out and crack open some beers. And I'm looking around, and suddenly notice that everyone on this beach with us is hot. I mean everyone. All of the guys are like 6'2" and tan and ripped and wearing these hilarious speedo-type bathing suits that only hot guys can really wear without looking creepy, and all of the girls are lean and beautiful with long flowing hair. Just when i started to feel really insecure and get creeped out, my friend Ellen adds as an afterthought, "Oh yeah, by the way, the guys that own this beach are friends of mine, and they are four brothers and all of them are Ford models and all of their friends are models and actors and they live half the year in LA working for Gus van Sant." What. The. Fuck. Are fucking kidding me. So I spent the next 30 minutes on my towel trying to look thin and glamorous, and then the remaining 5 hours not really giving a damn because honestly, who was I fooling, and swimming and getting a tan and staring at all of the beautiful people around me.

Did I mention I could see Mt. St Helens from my towel. Because I could. It was awesome.

No comments: