Tuesday, July 29, 2008

my waking thoughts

Something has really been bothering me lately. Namely, where are all the bobby pins? I was doing some not so fact-based calculations in my head this morning while I was laying in bed. Here is what my train of thought sounded like:

I personally, as someone who has historically always had short hair, have used upwards of around 1000 bobby pins in my life (consider that one of those packs has 18), probably more. When I lose them, I have no idea where they go, they just disappear. I'm going to assume that I'm not the only one who this happens to. I'm also going to assume that I represent a standard usage of bobby pins.

I went to Wikipedia and it told me that bobby pins first gained popularity in the 1920s. For simplicity's sake, I'll just say they have been around for ~85 years. From 1920 to 2007, the U.S. population has increased by 195 million people, around half of whom are women, so that gives an increase of 97.5 million women. If you just take 97.5 million and multiply it by 1000 (this mode of calculation is probably wrong but I figure its close enough), you have around 97 billion bobby pins floating around somewhere, unaccounted for (this doesn't even COUNT the volume that must have been needed for the beehive).
So where they hell are they. You know how people always talk about the questions they would ask God if they met him in person? That would be one of mine. This question can also be applied to pens.

Glad I got that off my chest. I got some good news yesterday--the lady from the dog adoption place called me about the dog I am looking at. Finally. Now I apparently have 2 dogs to choose from. The original one (Meg) is who I am still most interested in, but there is another one in Rock Hill (Bella) who I am probably going to go visit soon. She's the same breed (Australian Shepherd) but has black and white markings like a Border Collie, which is really cute. Anyway, Aussies are working dogs, so I explained to the lady that the reason I was interested in the first dog is that she has a very calm demeanor, and I didn't want to end up with a dog who was going to tear up my house and start herding around my next door neighbor's 3 kids. She told me that this one is very similar to the first--she has always been primarily indoors and is very quiet, only really requires a walk in the morning and at night. So I'm gonna visit and see if she likes me. It should be interesting.

2 comments:

kelly said...

i hope the dog works out, dude. i must say though, meg's a much cooler name than bella. even if it's a human name.

also, true dat about bobby pins. maybe when you ask god about them, you should ask him to show you every unaccounted bobby pin much like you'd view google maps on the iPhone- little red tacks that shows where they are all over the world.

are bobby pins pretty standard around the world? same shape and stuff? i'm assuming it's an american invention, but i could be wrong. seems like something cold and steel-like that we'd do in the 20's.

if they're not the same worldwide, could we travel the world searching for bobby pins and make a book like tina? thanks.

Unknown said...

yeah, i actually hate the name bella, and if i get her will undoubtedly change it, i don't care how old she is. that name is just lame.

i can totally see them selling a book about the whereabouts of bobby pins at urban outfitters or somewhere cRaZy like that--i say we got on it immediately.