Thursday, February 21, 2008

i think i have foot-in-mouth syndrome

It was taco salad day in the cafeteria today. I went down and ate with two med students that I recently met and hit it off with. We were sitting there gorging ourselves, and when I finished the last bite, I leaned back in misery and said "oh my god, I think I have Prader-Willi syndrome--no WAY I should have been able to eat that much." It suddenly got uncomfortably quiet, and one of the girls looked at me with a serious face and said "my husband's niece has Prader-Willi."

WHAT. WHO ACTUALLY HAS PRADER-WILLI SYNDROME? I thought that like 4 people had that. The thing that amazed me the most though, is that this girl was so dramatic about it, when it wasn't even a blood relative. I could understand if it was her daughter, and she was like "I have to live with the horrors of Prader-Willi every single day" or some shiz like that, but come on. Plus, even though the actual disease is probably quite bad, there is no overlooking the comic overtures of a condition where you can't stop eating. I feel like I should be able to say things like that without fear of retribution.

Also, she is a doctor. If a doctor can't find the comedy in an unfortunate situation, who can?

1 comment:

Erin said...

That was just on an episode of CSI. And it would be you that mentions one of the rarest conditions possible only to be repremanded by someone who actually knows someone with it.